Android Overview and Benefits
What is Android?
One of the most widely used mobile OS these days is Android. Android is a mobile operating system. It is also middle-ware for key application. It is based on the Linux kernel and designed primarily for touch screen devices such as smart phones and tablets, developed by Google and later on OHA (Open Handset Alliance).
OHA is basically consortium of 84 companies such as Google, Samsung, AKM, Synaptic, KDDI, Garmin, EBay, Intel etc. It was established on 5th November 2007, led by Google. The main goal of android is to create a successful real-product that improves the mobile experience for end user. In addition to touch screen devices, Google has further developed Android TV for Television, Android Auto for Cars and Android Wears for wristwatches. Android also used on notebooks, game consoles, digital cameras and other electronics.
- Open Source
- Larger Developer and Community Reach.
- Increased Marketing.
- Inter App Integration.
- Reduced the cost of development.
- Higher Success Ratio.
- Rich Development Environment.
Categories of Android Application
Features of Android
Here are some most unique features of Android OS.
- Near Field Communication
The most Android devices support NFC, which allows electronic devices to easily interact across short distances. The main is to create payment option which is simpler than carrying credit cards, cash.
- Alternate KeyboardsAndroid supports multiple keyboards and makes it easier to install; Swift key, Skype and 8pen apps all offers quickly change your keyboard.
- Infrared TransmissionThe Android OS supports a built-in infrared transmitter, allowing you to use your phone or tablet as a remote control.
- No-Touch ControlUsers can control their phones touch-free, using only gestures by using android apps such as Wave Control.
- AutomationThe Tasker app lets you not only control app permissions but also allow to automate them. For example – you want to start music using voice command.
- Wireless App DownloadUsing Android market or third party options like Appbrain, meanwhile lets you download app on your PC and automatically them your Droid, no plug-ins required.
- Storage and Battery swapAndroid phones also have unique hardware capabilities that is storage and battery swap. Google’s operating system makes it possible to remove and upgrade your battery or to replace one that no longer holds a charge. Also, Android phones come with SD card slots for expandable storage.
- Custom Home ScreensThough it is possible to hack certain phones to customize the home screen, Android comes with a capability from the get-go. You can download a third-party launcher for example nova, you can add gestures, new shortcuts, or even performance enhancements for older-model devices.
- WidgetsAndroid applications are versatile. Android widgets let you display about any feature you choose, right on the home screen like weather apps, music widgets, or productivity tools that helpfully remind you of upcoming meetings or approaching deadlines.
- Custom ROM’sThis is one of the unique features of Android. It is because the Android operating system is open source, developers can tweak the current operating system and build their own versions, which users can download and install in place of the stock operating system. Some of them filled with features, while others change the look and feel of a device. If you want chances like you want add feature, someone has already built a custom ROM for it.
|Platform Version||API level||Name|
|Android (1.1)||2||Base 1_1|
|14||Ice cream sandwich|
|Android (4.0.3)||15||Ice cream sandwich|
|Android (4.1)||16||Jelly bean|
|Android (4.2)||17||Jelly bean|
|Android (4.3)||18||Jelly bean|